What to Expect Before the Semester Starts
Once approved to teach for the School of Social Work by the Associate Dean for Part-Time Lecturer Development or the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Dottie Bennet will contact you initially via phone regarding courses that can be offered to you.
- Dottie Bennett will review the upcoming semester’s schedule to identify course availability. You will be offered courses based on your areas of expertise, area of interest, and your availability. Once a course is selected, you will be added to our semester schedule.
- Dottie Bennett will send you the most recent course syllabus for your review. Please note that this version may or may not be the finalized master syllabus for the semester you are teaching. The syllabus is a live document and updates are ongoing, however, you will receive a final syllabus prior to the semester starting. In most cases, the syllabus that you review during this initial process will not be much different from the final syllabus.
- Dottie Bennett will confirm your phone number and your personal and Rutgers email addresses through which you will receive your teaching assignment. The email will contain location, time, dates, and other useful information about your class. The confirmation is separate from the contract of employment which will be sent out from our Business Office via email. In the meantime, please be patient and recognize that you will be provided with all the necessary information you need in order to teach your course. We have a process in place and we are aware of everything that has to be provided to you to ensure your preparation for your course.
- Please be aware that the confirmation of the teaching assignment does not guarantee employment with the Rutgers University School of Social Work. Moreover, once you receive your contract from the Business Office, there are additional steps to be taken such as a background check in order to finalize the hiring process.
- Sheri Aguilar will provide you with the final and official version of the syllabus for your course. The finalized syllabus may be provided with access to your live Canvas course, please take time to review all content. Simultaneously, you will receive a date for the scheduled kick-off calls from Sheri Aguilar. Most courses hold kick off virtual meetings/calls prior to the start of the semester where course coordinators review the course materials with our instructors. Please watch for these invitations, the call will be held prior to the start of the semester. We strongly encourage your attendance. In case you have concerns regarding classroom management, student matters, and pedagogical issues, contact Dr. Sam Jones at Samuel.firstname.lastname@example.org.