Skip to Content


When will I know if my class runs?

Class cancellations are determined by enrollment numbers. If student enrollment is low, the class will be canceled. Dottie Bennett will send email notifications ahead of the semester.

How to manage incompletes/temporary grades for MSW program?

End of Semester MSW Grading Info

  • We do expect faculty/instructors to hold classes through the final week of the semester. You will receive semester calendar via email. Please be on the lookout.
  • Please contact Dean Hunter directly if you have any students who may be “missing” or have end-of-the-semester disability-related issues. Dean Hunter will follow up with advisor and student as appropriate.
  • You will submit your grades via REGIS, here is the link This is the same website you have accessed to retrieve your official rosters. 
  • You are strongly encouraged to submit your grades as soon as you are able. REGIS system has a deadline, if passed, you will not be able to submit grades electronically.  The system literally shuts down and getting grades posted after this is a complicated process for all involved. 
  • Please keep in mind that you do not have to submit all the grades on one roster at one time. However, you do have to submit all the grades before deadline. You will receive the dates and times to submit your grades via email, please be on the lookout.
  • Students do not need their grades within 24 hours of the last class nor should they inappropriately contact you to urge you to submit grades on their timeline.
  • The grades that RU graduate programs use are: A, B+, B, C+, C, and F. (Only Field Education uses Pass and Fail). Please see the Grading Scale info and contact Sr. Associate Dean Laura Curran or Dr. Samuel Jones - if you have any questions about grading.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Grades may also be posted on Canvas, BUT please do double-check at: to confirm that your grades were properly submitted.


Temporary Grades (often referred to as “incompletes”)

  • If students cannot complete their work by the end of the semester due to something out of their control (illness, emergency etc.) and have been up to date throughout the semester, they may be eligible for a Temporary Grade. It is up to you as (the faculty/instructor) to make this determination. 
  • Any faculty member who gives a student a temporary grade must complete the Temporary Grade Agreement form and return that form to me or the Office of Student Affairs at You will receive the form, along with additional important information, via email. These emails go out to all faculty every semester as reminders.
  • If you believe that a student's situation warrants an extension, then give that student a TF grade (temporary fail). At the School of Social Work, all temporary grades are recorded as a TF (Temporary F.) Please use a TF even if you think the student may eventually receive a better final grade. A TF is good motivation for the student to complete the outstanding work. Do not leave a roster blank. Instead, please apply a TF.

We advise that a temporary grade usually provides students with about an additional two weeks past the last day of the semester to submit any outstanding work and assignments for a grade. While this timeframe is ultimately up to you as the faculty member/instructor, please note that lingering temporary grades will cause registration and curricular problems for students (when a course is a pre-req) and we often find that longer term extensions result in ongoing requests and problems. Please note that any TF grade will automatically turn into an F if the TF grade is not resolved by the end of the following semester.

If any additional extensions are granted (which should be rare), please always create a written agreement with the student. If a contract is extended, please discuss with Sam Jones (for PTLs) or me/Arlene Hunter (for full time faculty). Please contact Sam Jones (PTL) or me (faculty) if you want/need to discuss a specific situation. Again, please let us know if you are going to give a student a Temporary grade.

Please contact Dr. Laura Curran, Sr. Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, if you are concerned a student may have violated the Academic Integrity Policy.  Dr. Curran may be reached at


MSW Grading Scale

92-100 4.0


87-91 3.5


82-86 3.0


77-81 2.5




F 0-69 


  • The School does not assign the grades of D or D+ in its MSW courses nor are there any minus grades at the MSW level.
  • TF    Temporary grade    A TF is used for all incomplete and temporary grades.  Temporary grades are given at the discretion of the instructor when the student is not able to complete the coursework requirements due to extenuating circumstances at the very end of the semester.  If a student does not complete the course requirements, the grade will change to a F.  Normally, students are provided with a maximum of two weeks after the semester ends to complete all course requirements.
  • W    Withdrawal       A W is applied to the student’s transcript when a student officially drops a course or withdraws after the add/drop period through the first twelve (12) weeks of the semester.  No course may be dropped after the twelfth (12th) week of the semester.  (Faculty/instructors are not able to assign a W.)
  • IN    Incomplete   The grade of Incomplete is only assigned to Field.

When will I have access to my roster?

Notifications will be sent via the SSW Office of Student Affairs. Once your roster is live, confirm you have access here.

There are dates during the semester that I will not be able to teach, what can I do?

If you know these dates in advance, please contact Dr. Sam Jones

After class starts, whom should I contact for support?

I taught before in the SSW, but my Net ID doesn’t work, what can I do?

Your Net ID may need to be reactivated. Please call Dottie Bennett at 848-932-4334. Be prepared to provide your social security number and date of birth. 

I am undergoing observation, what materials do I need?

When can I expect my syllabus and/or access to my course shell in Canvas?

Syllabi will be distributed as early as possible; time varies and it depends on updates on the content of the course. Typically, syllabi are distributed around the time of scheduled kick off calls, but times may vary depending on updates to course content. Once available, SSW staff will provide individual email contact to access the course.   

What is the required book/desk copy for the course I teach?

The book list gets updated before the semester begins. Once all required books have been confirmed with course coordinator, Sheri Aguilar will email you the book list directly. Please wait until the email to order your desk copy/book.

I'm receiving emails from the publisher asking me to add resources/tools to my course, is this okay to do?

For a precise answer, please contact Dr. Sam Jones cc James Luke.

It is normal for publishers to contact you marketing their books, material, resources. Publisher will often draft an email you can share with your students to access these resources. Be aware that these resources may have to be purchased by students and we do not market for the publishers. During the kick off calls, course coordinators will clarify and confirm if any online resources from publisher will be required for the course. 

However, deviate from editing course content on Canvas and your syllabus. If you identify an error on the course content or you believe some updates should be made, please contact Dr. Sam Jones. We welcome your suggestions to improve our SSW courses! You may also bring up your suggestions during the kick off calls.

I have not received my contract yet, why?

We appreciate your patience with this process. Please click here for up to date information.

How to contact RU Department of Transportation?

The Rutgers Department of Transportation Services (DOTS) has switched to a new web-based customer service portal featuring these service enhancements:

  • Faster response time
  • User-friendly, online, self-service request forms
  • Transparent communication, capturing all questions and comments in an activity stream
  • Online status updates and resolutions

All questions regarding parking, buses, or other DOTS matters must be submitted through This process will generate an individual case number and you will receive an auto-generated email confirming that DOTS is working on your case.

Once your case has been created in, you will receive follow-up emails if the DOTS team needs additional information about your request. A proposed resolution will be emailed once an agent has all the information needed.

Top FAQs for RU DOTS:

  • Temporary Plates
  • Do I need a permit?
  • Where am I allowed to park?
  • Accessible Parking
  • Appeal a Ticket

*Please note: Parking cases are monitored Monday - Friday during normal business hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm EST

Back to top