PTL Onboarding: Canvas
We're here to help.
We recognize that Canvas may be new to many of you, and we want you all to feel supported as you may be using this system. SSW's Instructional Designer, can assist in building assignment strategies, design and development of your course, training, and implementation of new tools and technologies.
What is Canvas?
Canvas is the primary learning management system (LMS) used by the SSW for both its on-campus and online courses. This platform is aimed at enhancing the learning and teaching experience for students and instructors and will house important information for both you and your students to access throughout the semester. On-campus courses may use Canvas as a place to share readings and other resources, and a platform for assignment submissions. Online and hybrid courses will use Canvas as means to facilitate the course. Here are some of the tricks Canvas can do:
- Set up gradebook and calculate scores
- Make a rubric
- Edit and file the course syllabus
- Send an email announcement to the entire roster, or individuals
- Store readings and resource files
- Set points for an assignment
- Create quizzes
- Host threaded discussions
Training & Technical Support
To schedule in-person or remote one-on-one training, contact our SSW EdTech - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Getting Started in Canvas
- Canvas Instructor Guides
- Rutgers TLT Training Workshops
- Self-Paced Faculty Orientation
Contact the Canvas help desk at email@example.com for 24/7 technical support.
In addition to our SSW Instructional Design team
For technical assistance with Canvas you can also contact Office of Information Technology (OIT) Help Desk.
Phone number: 833-OIT-HELP for help with everything from Canvas and Sakai to Zoom, Rutgers Connect, and NetIDs.
A dedicated team with experience supporting Rutgers faculty and staff with questions about learning management systems is now available from:
- 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday
- 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday
- 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Sunday
Limited LMS support is also available outside of those hours by calling 833-OIT-HELP. The OIT Help Desk is equipped to answer questions about learning management systems and other IT services and systems, which we hope will result in a more seamless experience for faculty and staff members seeking answers to their tech-related questions.
Accessing a Canvas Site
As soon as your course is finalized, a Canvas site will be created.
- All courses in the MSW Online Program or courses running online use Canvas as the learning management system. You will receive access to your live course, and Instructional Design team will contact you individually to confirm access. In addition, once added to your course via Net ID, Canvas will also automatically email your RU email address alerting you that you have been added to a course.
- All courses running on the ground (OTG), meaning face to face, in the BASW and MSW program use Canvas. You will receive access to your live course and Instructional Design team will contact you individually to confirm access. In addition, once added to your course via Net ID, Canvas will also automatically email your RU email address alerting you that you have been added to a course.
What to do in a Live Course?
You may hear your Canvas site referred to as a "live course." These are one in the same. Once a Canvas site/Live course is created for your class, you can begin customizing by uploading and adding content like syllabi, assignments, exams, resources, Power Point slides, and readings, etc. Don't forget to contact our SSW team, firstname.lastname@example.org for help!