Part-Time Lecturer Portal
Welcome Part-Time Lecturers
These pages were designed to support new, returning, and current PTLs by streamlining the path to pertinent information. If you are a new PTL, click the "new PTL" button. Doing so will take you through the onboarding process, from the completion of your application to the submission of grades at the end of the semester. If you are a current or continuing PTL, press the "current PTL" button which will give you direct access to information most frequently pursued by PTLs. A library of videos covering a range of operational matters is also available to you.
Upcoming PTL Workshops & Conferences
- Annual PTL Teaching Conference: Pursuing Truth and Justice: Keeping the Conversation Alive
- Zoom Training | Various dates and times available; Zoom link sent via email
- Wednesday, January 20, 2021 | 3pm
- Drop-in times for support in updating your Canvas course | Various dates and times available; Zoom link sent via email
- Friday, January 22, 2021 | 12pm-1pm
- Canvas Basics | Various dates and times available; Zoom link sent via email
- Thursday, January 21, 2021 | 5pm
- Engaging the Asynchronous Online Classroom: Ongoing Dialogues | Various dates and times available; Zoom link sent via email
- Thursday, February 4, 2021 | 7pm
- Thursday, March 4, 2021 | 7pm
- Thursday, April 1, 2021 | 7pm
- Thursday, May 6, 2021 | 7pm
Important Information for Launching Fall 2020
Messaging your MSW/BASW students before the start of class: We are strongly recommending that you message your students next week before the first day of classes (Sept 1) to help ensure a smooth start in this unusual context. Despite significant, multi-faceted and ongoing communication to students about remote learning from SSW, there are still some students out there who are confused. You can message students through your CANVAS inbox/email once your shell is published or through your SIMS roster.
I am also suggesting that you include the following along with any other welcome information:
- Course type and time: Please note whether your class is remote synchronous or fully online. If synchronous, please remind them of the day and time of the class and the 90 min synchronous/50 asynchronous model. If it is a fully online class, please remind your students that the asynchronous class begins on Tuesday Sept 1.
- Zoom link: Send them the zoom link for the first class. Even if your long-term plan is to house the link in CANVAS, you will need to send the first one as they may not know how to access it. I would also resend the zoom link (or the entire email) the day before your first class.
- Link to student information page: It would be great/helpful to include the following: "You can find more information about fall 2020 classes at SSW at the Spring 2021 Student Information Page and you can reach out to your advisor with any questions"
The First Day: We anticipate some issues with the first day/week of classes. First, of course, expect some technical issues. We will have live support for you and students during this week as we did last fall. Second, we could see some attendance issues if a student experiences confusion around the course structure. We ask that you be flexible and patient with them. If you have a significant number of students missing from a class, please let Arlene Hunter (MSW firstname.lastname@example.org) or DuWayne Battle (BASW email@example.com) know and we will have the student affairs or BASW team reach out.
Ongoing Student Issues: While we are fortunate that COVID is under relative control in NJ, we are certainly still feeling its effects. If you have any concerns about the mental or physical health of your students or ongoing attendance issues, please let Arlene Hunter/MSW advisors (MSW) or DuWayne Battle (BASW) know and we will have the student affairs or BASW team reach out. Relatedly, if your student has issues with hardware or internet access, please let them know as well and refer your students to their advisor. University and SSW resources may be available.
Zoom camera issues and recording: While many of us would like student cameras to be on and we can encourage it, please note that we cannot penalize students for not doing so. Please remember that some students may have privacy issues or may be struggling with childcare issues, among other things. Also, if you choose to record your zoom session with students please announce this at the start of the class and remind students about the need to maintain client confidentiality if they are discussing field education (i.e. no identifying information). You may want to turn the recording off if you are discussing sensitive information. As you are likely aware, you cannot share these recordings with anyone but the students in the class and you cannot use them for anything but class-related educational purposes. They should be destroyed at the end of the semester. Please note that SA will be sending a statement to students about recordings.
Spring 2021 Academic Calendars
Click on the attached links, or view the academic calendar charts below for BASW, MSW, or a full detailed caldendar: Spring 2021 BASW Academic Calendar; Spring 2021 MSW Academic Calendar; Spring 2021 Detailed Academic Calendar. Other academic resources including syllabi templates and teaching resources can be found here.