Testing Your Computer for Zoom
You can join a Zoom Test meeting to test you microphone, speakers, and video, and to familiarize yourself with Zoom.
- Visit http://zoom.us/test and click the blue Join button
- You will be prompted to download and run the Zoom app. Once installed, the Zoom Test meeting will launch. Click the Join button and then select Open Zoom meeting when prompted. If you already have Zoom installed, you will be prompted to open the app. Click the Open button.
- A new window will pop up that should show a preview of your video. Select the option to Join with video or Join without video, depending on your configuration.
- Your test Zoom meeting will now begin. Zoom provides a pop-up screen to test your speakers. Click the Yes button if you hear the sound through your speakers. If you do not hear the test ringtone, click No and Zoom will test a different speaker. (You can also use the drop-down menu to select a different speaker.) If your speaker test is not successful, you will be offered the option to connect to audio by phone.
- Next, you will be prompted to test your microphone. As directed, speak a few words and then pause. Zoom will record your words and play them back. Click Yes if you hear a replay. If you do not, click No, and Zoom will test your other microphone(s), if any. You can also use the drop-down menu to select a different microphone. If your microphone test is not successful, you will be offered the option to connect to audio by phone.
- Zoom will confirm that your speaker and microphone are working correctly and list the devices for your future reference. Click the Join with Computer Audio button to share and receive audio in the meeting.
- You are now joined to the test meeting as an attendee and can familiarize yourself with the layout.
A few options to note on the bottom tool bar:
- The Mute and Share video buttons are in the bottom left corner. A slash through either icon shows it is muted or not sharing video. Click each icon to enable your microphone or video.
- Clicking the Participants button will display the participants list on the right.
- The Chat button will display a chat window on the right. This is great for communicating if you have audio issues.
- The Share screen button is in green. Test sharing your screen, just one program, or a whiteboard or device. Note the video clip options for sharing video clips with sound.
- You can Record a meeting. Saving is recommended locally.
- The Leave Meeting button appears in red on the tool bar.
- You can Send an invite to colleagues by using the white invite button. You can also get meeting information and a meeting link by clicking the “i” in the top left corner.